Saturday, March 16, 2013

Puerto Rican Beef Empanada RECIPE!

Whether you are having unexpected guests over or you are in the mood for a quick snack to "hold you over until dinner", these are the perfect pick me up, yes pick me up, these little things seriously make me happy :) haha You can also, however, eat these accompanied with some rice for a full meal, I have often done that as well. Ok, enough of the blabber, let's get started with the goods!

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of the (white) flour discs, I get the GOYA ones (This will make 10) *DEFROSTED*
  • 2 Tbsp. Sofrito (recipe below)
  • Adobo Powder (I also use the Goya one, Goya should sponsor me already right?! lol)
  • Small can of plain tomato sauce
  • 1 lb. Ground Meat (you can actually use beef, turkey chicken etc.)
  • Vegetable Oil (we use this to fry them)
Basic Sofrito Recipe: 
  1. Combine yellow onions, green AND red peppers, Cilantro and garlic in a food processor until its a very fine texture. ---Yes, it IS that simple ;)

Directions: 
  1. In a skillet, brown the meat and drain out any excess fat that may be lingering there
  2. Return the cooked meat to the pan and add in the 2-3 tablespoons of sofrito (I like mine VERY flavorful so I add 2.5 tablespoons to 3 sometimes :) Then sprinkle with adobo to taste and add your small can of tomato sauce. 
  3. Turn the flame back on to low heat and let it simmer for another 15 mins. 
  4.  While this meat mixture is cooling off, start heating your oil (to 325 degrees)--this can take a little while so be patient :) I always stick a spoon in and see if it sizzles to tell if it's hot. 
  5. While the oil is heating begin preparing your empanadas for frying. This means adding 2 Tbsp. or so of the meat mixture to the center of the flour disco. Fold it into a half moon shape and seal the sides by pressing down a fork and making a pretty little design at the same time :) 
  6. After sealing them front and back (this assures that nothing leaks out!) Set them aside until your oil is heated, once this is so, place 3 or 4 (depending on the size of your pan) at a time in. Once you see one side golden brown, flip them over. 
  7. Once you can see that both sides have cooked evenly, place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil and YOU ARE DONE! 
I actually did this process with the kids and they loved it. Away from the burning oil, which I did, it was a fun way to get them involved in the kitchen :) It is so simple to instruct as well!

**In mine I added a tiny slice of cheese to make them meat and cheese, you do this during the "stuffing process". You can do this easily to any of the other versions as well! **

If you aren't afraid of a little spice, top them off with some hot sauce while you are eating, it is truly superb!

Here are some photos of "empanada day":

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4



If you decide to make these, let me know how they come out :)

These may not be the healthiest (fried foods), but as a treat, they are just perfect. I have another recipe to come that is healthier no worries for my healthy readers :)

¡buen provecho!

xox

33 comments:

  1. Question....are there "orange flour discs"? I have a Puerto Rican friend (who will not give up her recipe) whose pastalillos look orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, there are yellow/orange discos that have annatto in them. This may very well be what she uses. Goya makes them as well :)

      Delete
    2. in the frozen part of store thats where i get them and there orange flour discs

      Delete
    3. How do I keep the meat juicy? I dont want mine to come out too dry.

      Delete
  2. I think me and my friend will make these soon when we do our Puerto Rican comida :) Looking forward to trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You sure could! Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15/20 mins or until golden brown on both sides. Be sure to flip over half way through to ensure they brown evenly on each side :) enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Omg I cant wait to make these. I just returned from Puerto Rico on Tuesday and lived on these.. Been craving them ever since. I got recaito instead of sofrito. Sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also added green olives with pimento. It was so good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alysea, could I have the measurements for the Sofrito? I'm recipe challenged and so want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good! I made it today. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just came across your recipe, I have made these from scratch, I learn it from my Grandma & Mom. Goya has some wonderful products I agree! However, I too use homemade Sofrito, when making this "Picadillo" and I still add fresh minced garlic and more diced onions, we didn't use adobo, instead we used Sazon.. 1 or 2 to taste. and we still added oregano leaves crushed. Also we also added Goya's Spanish olives with pimientos and added some capers too. That's how we made it for the filling, when I want it to serve with Rice & beans I would add sometimes a can of diced tomatoes and allow it to cook/simmer. I am so happy to see some Puerto Rican foods here on Pinterest. Since, I now live in Oregon and it's so hard to find the items one needs to make true PR foods. Not many PR's out here.. LOL.. Thanks for the wonderful Memories!! Please keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your e-mail.. Have a few tried & true Puerto Rican recipes from my mother, I would to send you via e-mail. Not knowing how to copy from my computer recipes to pinterest - can send via e-mail, if you are interested..
    Coquito, Bacalaitos (this same recipe can be used to make stewed bacalau and Bacalau salad. Born in NYC, have always kept up with Puerto Rican cooking, rib sticking food..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Olga, Thanks so Much.. Yes, I would so love that, we can share and compare... LOL.. I Also am a Nuyorican!! I sire miss ALL the PR Dishes and how Mom would reinvent some dishes with a Lil PR Touch.. I also would love you to try some of Mine.. I would gladly send them to you also.. Thanks again! Hope to hear from you soon!

      Delete
  10. Hi, I just wanted to share my thoughts, you can use it, but I would roll them out a bit thinner... You can make your own it very easy... Here is how I make them .. Dough - 3½ cups of flour - 2 tsp of salt - 2 tsp of baking powder - 3½ Tbs of cold shortening (Crisco) or cold vegetable oil - 1 egg, slightly beaten - 3/4 cup of water... Note sometime I would use a packet of plain Goya Sazon with out Achiote (This is what makes them orange) or with if you want... Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a food processor fitted with dough blades. Add cold Crisco to flour mixture, pulse to combine. Add egg and pulse to mix. Add the water a little at a time. Process until dough comes together. It may form into large pellets no worries. Dust a workspace with flour, turn dough out on to work surface. Knead the dough using your palm, knead until the dough is soft and smooth. Form into a ball, cover with a cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll dough out into a rope about 15 inches long. (I roll, pull and squeeze) Once rolled out cut off disks about 3/4 of an inch thick. Dust your rolling pin and workspace and roll out into a thin paper circle. It should be about 1/16 inch thick and about a 6 inch circle wide. Lay the rolled-out dough on the lined sheet pan, loosely lay plastic wrap over top. Roll out the remaining dough in the same manner. Lightly flour each disc, lay on sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap. (this helps so they do not dry out). You are now ready to fill each one. or Make Ahead - Once assembled place discs on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and freeze individually. Transfer to resealable plastic bag and store in freezer. Thaw for 5 - 10 minutes on counter top before frying. Note: This was My Grandmothers recipe.. She used Lard back then - I changed it to the Crisco, plain not the buttered flavored one. I hope this helps you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this! My daughter often picks these up at the bodigas in Reading, PA & has been asking me for years to make them--just wasn't sure what to add to the meat. We already put sazon on our pork chops & use adobo for seasoning. Now I can try this. I see all the Goya stuff in the local supermarkets. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw your pic on Pinterest and I did a double take! My husband had a neighbor from Puerto Rico. She gave his mother several recipes. One looks just like this one. I mean your pics of the steps look just like ours. They are called Pastalijos. Pardon me if I spelled it wrong. It calls for 4 cans Libby's corned beef, 1 large potato in small cubes, 1 large can chopped black olives, 1 large jar chopped green olives, one cup of achiote(1 cup veg oil + 4T annatto seeds over low heat til oil is vivid orange), reserve 4T for discs, and 40 flour discs(with 4T of achiote). I cheat and use the large Goya discs with the extract in them. I have never smelled or tasted anything like them in my life. They are simply divine! I am going to try your recipe because some don't like corned beef. Your pic made me smile instantly. I looked like my kitchen and the girls remind me of me 2 girls. But I need help! I need a recipe for Arroz con Pollo. I lost mine and would like to have it for the winter. I also can't wait to check out your beauty tab. I must confess. I'm a YouTube makeup tutorial addict! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am not very good at eyeballing ingredients so can I please have the measurements for the sofrito, I want to make these so bad and what is in it that gives it the yummy sour taste and orange/yellowish color and one more thing what kind of green olives go in them and are they whole or cut in half. Thank you soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am not very good at eyeballing ingredients so can I please have the measurements for the sofrito, I want to make these so bad and what is in it that gives it the yummy sour taste and orange/yellowish color and one more thing what kind of green olives go in them and are they whole or cut in half. Thank you soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Question: say I were to have some of these left over. How would you recommend heating them back up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this. We had these when we visited Argentina umpteen years ago and I've searched for what they were and how to make them ever since. I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never taste the same as fresh fried. I nuke them with a napkin. Or keep some frozen until ready to use.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. You can buy them in the Goya frozen section at your supermarket

      Delete
  19. I can't find the disc's. Are they like a pie crust?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my favorite but i add chopped spanish olives and a small diced potato. Also i bake them. I put an egg wash on them and stick in oven until gden Brown. So if you wabt to cut calories, try it. They are just as awesome

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I have made these following your recipe. Family enjoys them very well. It’s been a long time since I’ve made them. Can I make a night ahead and then reheat them for the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm making them tonight, I will post after to show how it went!!

    ReplyDelete