As 2012 comes to a close within these next few hours, I wanted to take some time to reflect on the good that came out of this taboo year. Taboo I say because here in the United States, where I live, the world was supposed to end twice according to various theories! If you are reading this, I think it's safe to say it indeed did not end, in fact it did quite the opposite for me. 2012 was filled with so many great memories, baby showers, births, weddings, engagements, friends, family, even some not so good things like friends breakups, family health issues, natural disasters, violent tragedies and so on. It is safe to say that 2012 had so much in store--things that would make us cry, love, laugh and most importantly remember who we are and why we are exactly where we are in our lives at this moment.
Here are some of the things that I remember in 2012 that were positive in my life:
1. Boyfriends sister had a wonderful baby shower and gave birth to an amazing little boy, RJ.
2. Went to see Jersey Boys on Broadway for Valentines Day--I LOVE oldies so this was perfect gift ;)
3. My Boyfriend graduated his work training! Boy that was a rough 6 months :(
4. Went to Puerto Rico with two of my very best friends and my honey.
5. Met Kandee Johnson at IMATS
6. Cut down Christmas Tree with my boyfriend to keep our tradition alive :)
7. Hiked through the Bushkill Falls with my best friend as we took a mental voyage with nature lol
8. Kayaked 6 miles and had my arms feel like they were on fire because of it hahaha
9. Reunited with my Portuguese grandparents after almost 10 years of not seeing them!
10. Finished my first semester back at school with a 3.9 GPA! yay!
11. Made my first fondant cake ever for my friends birthday!
12. Went to the Philadelphia Zoo with the mister and although I've been going here my whole life, this time was extra special for some reason :)
13. Went to over 5 NHL Hockey Playoff games--This was my first time ever getting into hockey!
14. Threw my boyfriend a surprise 25th birthday party successfully :)
15. Saw my sister and my cousin off to two different proms--they're getting so old--wahhh!
There were many other firsts and celebrations and new things that came to me this year, but if I were to take the time to share every single one, I would be here forever haha
Here are some photos of the above mentioned things:
Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013.
Until next year,
Monday, December 31, 2012
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
The mister is working this year for New Years so I may not really do anything as grand as I have previous years. Therefore, I am posting this annual post of mine a bit early because it may just end up including these two holidays--if by chance I do end up doing something absolutely spectacular, I will just do a separate post on that ;) Here we go:
Pants: Forever 21
Stockings: Urban Outfitters (LOVE these!! Had them for a few years and wear them all the time!)
Black Cone Heel Suede Boots: Urban Outfitters
Pink Rhinestone Bow Ring: Vendor at IMATS
Shamballa Bracelets: Gifted from boyfriends Mother
Pants: Forever 21
Shoes: Nine West Melitta
Bangles: Forever 21
White Tank: Target
I didn't really have time to shop for new holiday ensembles this year and I was forced to rummage through my closet for both occasions and I am glad I was! I used things I already and and whipped up two totally new outfits :) Sometimes you just have to look at what you have and pair things together in a new way for a completely new outfit.
Hope you all enjoyed your holidays!
Saturday, December 22, 2012
4 apples (any of your liking, I used a mixture of three in mine because I like to spruce everything up a little ;)- cored and thinly sliced. You may also peel them but this is optional.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 pkg. Puff Pastry Thawed at room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar (for the glaze which is also optional)
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg (for egg wash)
1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
|1.||Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples to the melted butter in the skillet and cook them while stirring for about 2-3 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cinnamon, and then cook, for 2-3 more minutes. In a separate dish, mix together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Pour into the skillet, and mix well. Cook for another minute or so, or until sauce has thickened. Set the apple mixture aside from the heat and begin your next step.|
|2.||Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).|
|3.||Prepare your puff pastry sheets by rolling them out to be about an inch wider than they already are. Be sure to flour everything accordingly so your puff pastry doesn't stick to everything and tear. Trim each sheet into a square. Then cut each larger square into 4 smaller squares. Brush some of your egg wash (your 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp. of water) alongside the edges of each individual square. Spoon apples onto the center of each squares. Fold over from corner to corner into a triangle shape, and press edges together to seal. Place turnovers on a nonstick baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them. Cut an "X" shaped hole in the top of each pastry to give it breathing room. Then brush some more egg wash over the top so it will get a golden brown crust.|
|4.||Bake for 22-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool completely before glazing.|
|5.||Now for the extra yummy part, the glaze-- mix together the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over your apple turnovers and you're done!|
Sunday, December 9, 2012
Boy has it been a while! My last post was the first week of September, coincidentally the week that I started back at school. Work is always hectic, hello working with children is never a breeze, but load being a full time student on top of that already tiring workload and you get one tired girl! I took this time off from my blog to dedicate some serious time to bettering myself and my future, something that I am sure you can all relate to and or understand. Like I always tell my sister, "Sissy when you want something bad enough, A. do it yourself and B. do it right the first time--no time for wasting!". I took my own advice these past few months but with school winding down in a week or so, I figured this was the perfect time to sneak in doing something that I love doing most, chatting with you guys and writing my little heart away!
I decided that I wanted to come back and have my first post be a giveaway. If you follow me on twitter (@alyseap) you would know that a few days ago I stated that I was so thankful that all of my readers seem to be still checking in on my page daily, I feel so loved ;) I wanted to show my gratitude for sticking with me on this journey and for being wonderful ol' you. As stated on twitter, I am going to be doing 3 giveaways over the next few weeks. I wanted to do one that would pertain to the three areas of my blog I find to be the most valuable: food, beauty and instpiration. The first giveaway that I am doing is the beauty giveaway--but you probably already knew that from the photo and the title--hello! haha
I am giving you all two things that I personally love:
1. The Sonia Kashuk Instructional Eye Palette-Matte
2. The Sonia Kashuk Limited Edition Brush Couture 4 piece travel brush set
I am a huge fan of SK not only for her quality but for the affordability and accessibility of her products. She obviously has her consumer in mind!
I have a few SK brushes and I love them--impeccable quality and even better price points. The eyeshadow palette is great for everyday or if you are a beginner with makeup--these colors will help you learn the basics. It is so hard to find great pigmented drugstore eye shadows that are matte. This is an entire palette of matte shadows that will guide you through an everyday nude eye to a dark sultry smoky eye!
HERE ARE THE GUIDELINES TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
- You must be a subscriber to my blog--this is simply because this is where I am going to announce the winner so how else will you be notified?! :)
- You must comment below what your favorite holiday lip shade is or maybe you don't wear anything but chapstick--whatever the case, you must comment below! :)
- You must be 18+ or have your parents permission as I will eventually need your address if you are chosen as the winner.
THIS CONTEST WILL RUN FOR EXACTLY ONE WEEK. 12/9-12/16. I WILL ANNOUNCE THE WINNER CHOSEN AT RANDOM ON MONDAY MORNING 12/17.